LastXP Discussion

Discussion in 'LastXP' started by The Freezer, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

It took alot out of my soul to become what I became. {There is some wise man talking in a soft voice about the things I have done, that I would not even have attempted, had I been advised just how hard it would be to do so....} I am better off having gone through it though...{Jim Morrison singing break on through to the other side...} Yes I still have not got the Recovery Console to work on this old Gateway, it will have to wait until after I do the video.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  2. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Ok, well I tried to use what would install... Camstudio. I made one video, successfully, but it was just my first trial run of DOS booting up. I made 3 attempts to make the video of CPS ScriptTools for Windows. Camstudio made an error when trying to save the files... so I wound up with nothing to show. I will upload the player app that came with Camstudio because when I played it in irfanView... wow... that's all I can say.

Attached Files:

3. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Ok, I made a short video successfully... and decided to pack it as a Winrar SFX archive...

Attached Files:

4. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Ok... how do I install ssApps? I am running LastXP v13 (Combined)

5. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

:what: Seriously? LOL

1. Install SetupS
    2. Double-click on the .apz file
    3. Stand up, stretch, and ... oh, wait. It's done already. :)

Johnrw likes this.
  6. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Dangit Freezer! So you are gonna make me figure it out? Yeah, I'll admit it. When I install LastXP, is when I pick what apps I want in the install. It was so easy!
    I always knew I could put the DVD back in and pick more apps. But, I put TRUCK HACKING tools on my LastXP's, and then guard them with my life! Ok, where do I find SetupS?

7. Sshadow

Sshadow New Member

Sorry to interrupt the convo haha but is there a repository I am missing? I don't see any version of Camtasia in the repository I am looking at.

8. The Freezer

Checkout the first entry in "Handy Links" ;)

Johnrw likes this.
  9. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

No, @Sshadow, you're not missing out on any public secret repo, just a private share between staff. It was a poor choice of words. Sorry to get your hopes up. :)

Johnrw and The Freezer like this.
  10. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Well, I went digging around a little, I came up with this.
    http://files.lastos.org/SetupS-files.htm and grabbed the INNO installer package named
    Install.SetupS_v17.12.3.0.exe.

I installed it, then browsed in explorer to the ssApp pkg, right clicked, Send To...SetupS
    Slick!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have not had any time to explore what you have made with this Freezer,
    but I know it is awesome. After your first response, :what: I noticed you were the lead developer of SetupS.
    Ouch! Sorry, I have been through Hell this past week, and so I am not at all myself lately.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  11. The Freezer

As I pointed out above, you can also simply double-click on the .apz.

Plus, when using the web-directories of .apz's, you'll be able to install them by clicking on the desired ssApp or ppApp. ;)

EDIT -- Well, maybe that last one only works with certain browsers or how the browser is setup to handle download links. I used to be able install that way.

Johnrw likes this.
  12. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Has someone told @CodeZero about me? If he ever gets a load going through Arkansas, I'll perform my magic for free! Hopefully he drives a respectable truck with a good engine.
    Bed time for me. I can't wait to wake up and explore my new goodies!

13. The Freezer

One more hint about installing .apz with SetupS...

Load up a folder with all the .apz you want to install, then right-click on that folder, "Send to..." SetupS. Sit back and enjoy the show.

Johnrw likes this.
  14. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

do NOT right click your folder with your complete collection of SetupS apps, it will install them all if left alone to complete.

-Unpopular opinion time:

I am of the opinion that if your able to install Linux and your XP software and hardware works with WINE then you will have a much more secure system that will most likely be future proof.

I personally couldn't fight all the "issues" that XP has and is going to have over the next couple of years and would recommend grabbing a LastOS 8 (Awaken or other) to use hopefully getting XP Compatibility mode to get your special apps working for you, stay away from Win 10 if you don't like it, but the difference between OS's only takes weeks to iron out and learn. You can not stay on an unsecured OS that has no ability to stop internet/network attacks - that is a risk each time you are online, it doesn't matter how well you know your tools, if it looses it's edge, it will need to be replaced with one that is actually available to buy/use.

Sorry but there isn't any other long term options and if you keep fighting it, you will fall far behind.

-EDIT-

I remember the day the Blaster Virus was activated, I installed a PC 3 times and every time I would "dial up" it would re-infect the PC, the only way to keep it uninfected was to no go online, yes work around's were found, but with Ransomware so abundant now, I would NEVER risk my main PC's data.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Johnrw likes this.
  15. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

The only difficulty I had was to find it on the Start Menu!!!
    Yes, I couldn't go to sleep without taking a quick peak at it. This will do the job!!!!!
    Thank You Freezer, BP and Glenn, for all you guys have been doing on this site for years!
    It really shows, how superiorly gifted you are. Once I make this video, things should get back to normal in my world.

16. The Freezer

What was?

Johnrw likes this.
  17. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

The Linux I have always had on a thumb drive, was Knoppix. I think the last one I grabbed was 7.6.1. I have my thumb drive split into 2 partitions, one fat32, the other ReiserFS. That's where you take a Live DVD (which is essentially ROM) and turn it into something you can save files to. But Windows really freaks out when removable storage has 2 partitions. Years ago, I had posted on the Knoppix forum about running XP in a VirtualBox vm, all inside Knoppix Linux.

18. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

The app I just installed. It was in a folder item TechSmith.
    Nevermind Freezer, I was trying to be funny.

19. The Freezer

Well then you'll just love SetupS's Advanced StartMenu ... sorts your shortcuts into categories within the StartMenu. You can find (and set) that option with the SetupS ControlPanel. ;)

And yeah, Knoppix is pretty awesome.

20. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Well Cam???? looked awesome, but when I tried to record my dos VM, I couldn’t find my mouse cursor.
    Is there a way to tell it to leave the mouse alone?

Yeah, I can’t wait to checkout the control panel!!! I just grabbed the latest Knoppix on BitTorrent. Now I’m seeding it too.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  21. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I put the whole VM up on the ftp server.

Announcement!
    Here is the first ReadMeJohn.txt that I threw together.

Ok, I have included the same vmWare Player I used to create this vm.
    Reason being, I had initially created it using vmWare player 4.xxx and downgrading it was a pain.
    I got that done and went ahead.

So do yourself a favor, and just use the player I am providing.
    I think I will post the help file for the Script Tools on the forum.

I can also put the videos I made this morning up on my GoogleDrive.
    They are standard .avi files.

I put alot of work into this, just to lay the foundation for my case against Microsoft.
    To us users of "their" operating systems, MS kept saying the next version would be right.
    Staring with DOS 3.1 we waited, and waited, and then came DOS 3.2, 3.3, 4.0, 4.01,

Finally... DOS 5.0 was the first version sold at retail stores(CompUSA anyone remember?),
    then DOS 6.0, 6.2, 6.22. The last version of TRUE DOS. Never a 32bit DOS. They promised it.
    Never delivered it.

There was Windows 3.0, then 3.1. We didn't know it at the time, but the kernel had a big memory leak.
    It was only usable for a few hours. Had to be restarted... which was no big deal. Exit windows, to DOS,
    then type win again.

I actually had a program call winmiser, that would reclaim the lost memory of the Windows 3.1 kernel losses.
    I may find it on one of my old hard disks. Hopefully.

When you boot this VM, there is a DOS menu choice...
    1. SVGA
    2. Network

1. SVGA is the default if you do nothing.

Network is in low resolution 640x480 VGA.
    The Network is Working, I had it with a mapped drive to my Windows 8.0 machine's 3 TB drive.

Then came Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, then FINALLY Windows XP. The long promised Operating System
    by Microsoft that did what OS/2 did back in 93.

I have the very PC MAG issue that "pronounced" Microsoft Windows 3.1 the "better choice" over OS/2.
    In hindsight, they were dreadfully wrong. IBM, had a better OS. They just charged $$$ for it. But it was better.
    The benchmarks PCMAG did were on a OS/2 machine that was below OS/2's minimum requirements. Not Fair!!!!

End of ReadeJohn.txt

I am going to post the help file for Central Point Software's ScriptTools for Windows 3.1

I put it on my Desktop, and Windows XP knew exactly what to do with it!

Attached Files:

22. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Array usage Script
    This is an .AVI movie
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=12lKtKW9l9BIhT9yzAVLxdqKvcnURO2Q0

Here is the .MP4
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AMGaNxmBKN9AwE31gPUjv7lmNGY0XkAo

Attach Script
    This is an .AVI movie also
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-wNqBHAqJLko-5L_jVyKK3SKE_m2JnPK
    I don't know who, but when I clicked it, it said Video Format not supported... and Opened a YouTube page afterward. Can't have that so I am using a video converter program to make an .mp4 file out of it.

Here is the .mp4
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q6SA7xLTx0LpBuvPZMJP7_xS06sQUtmx

I will add more as I do them.

Turns out it was Firefox!

23. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

After looking at the videos EXTREMELY briefly, the script Tools reminds me a bit of AutoIt, which I guess was pretty advanced for DOS and Win 3.1, or did I totally miss the point of the video?

24. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

More videos coming... but I put the help file up, for scripttools, i think. One of the most powerful functions was dllcall(). That is in the next videos. The sample script calls USER.

You may be right about AutoIt... I can remember downloading 3 programs that claimed to be able to automate Windows. AutoIt was one of them. I got sidetracked from that pursuit.

But none of them got bought by Symantec, and closed down in 6 months.

25. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Next batch of videos.

Attached Files: