five-reasons-not-to-upgrade-to-windows-10

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by pacav69, Jul 11, 2016.

1. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

What about the many reasons to upgrade to Windows 10, no need to be negative about upgrading to Windows 10, ALL of the things on that list can be overcome with a little effort, including the things in the comments (like missing Media Center - http://lifehacker.com/get-windows-media-center-running-on-windows-10-with-a-f-1729919907), it just takes time and google, if you don't gave those things to spare then of cause your gonna hate upgrading to Windows 10 because you don't have time to get your system back to how you like it before your forced to use it. Nobody in the world is really using Universal/Modern Apps yet, but I can bet you a million $ that within 2 years they will be - why, because XBONE can use them, ARM can use them and they integrate seamlessly, MS just need to give incentive to all the major app makes from other platforms (so we can get the same apps you find on IOS and Android), it not like they are built on a complex system, to emulate the eco system of Android was MS's best idea to recover their market share, but I think they have a long term goal in place to win out, or they are so disorganized and deluded that the don't think any of this matters - if that is the case that that is the ONLY reason why you should not upgrade to Windows 10 (Incompetence) maybe if they could reassure it's users and communicate with us we might actually turn the bad press around - I am not going out of my way to promote Windows 10 - but every PC I have installed it on is still going strong, including the ones that used to get a virus/worm/malware every few weeks, so they must have improved something that isn't being talked about as I still refuse to use my CPU and burn out my disks with Antivirus/Antimalware crap, I buy a PC to do my tasks and if I can't do them without needing to run unwanted things, I'll get the hell out of the Windows OS entirely. Because everyone knows once a good AV solution is found it gets targeted, so the solution is to learn good habits and avoidance methods.

As it's so simple to revert to any version of Windows ever released the only stupid thing MS did was automate the process of upgrading to Win 10, I am thinking this will be disabled by default once users have to pay for the OS, if MS still push users to upgrade I'll join in the boycott because an example of another thing that uses this push method is drug dealers - because they know their product is bad for you, but want your money more than the guilt bothers them.

I don't want privacy, I want security, but as you can not rely on a non corrupt government being in control, you can never have both, so privacy is preferred IMO as there is more good people in the world than there is good corporations.

I hope MS has a bright future, as I really do NOT want to learn another OS, if things get bad I may revert to a seedbox/download machine and a VM setup or maybe a thinstall into the same server to browse the internet without giving anything access to my locked down PC - like a virtual air gap. I mean some virus lay dormant for a while before they are noticeable, but there will never be a 100% secure method when you have a massive network like the internet and are willing to run other peoples code.

3. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

I don't know, look how dismal things are right now. MS Lumia has like,what, 1% market share of phones purchased this year? With high res screens on tablets like Surface, who even needs modern apps? I just don't see how it could work unless Lumia somehow takes off (which will not happen). And even then Windows tablets are not tied to the store. There just won't be that need on Windows devices, except perhaps on phones. Android and Apple phones are of course carried by their app ecosystem, there simply is no demand for converting those apps to the Windows store platform. People have already decided what they want. MS is really too late, they messed up big time. If it weren't for business, cloud, office, things would be very dire for them right now. It's almost as if people have no place for MS in their personal lives now, those places are already taken up by Apple and Google. I just can't see how the MS store could become viable. Do you?

4. Glenn

No in fact if they don't offer users what they require they will slowly fade out as a OS maker only to be brought up by one of the two other companies you mentioned, XBONE is still doing well tho, so maybe they still have a fighting chance if they can get people excited having their data shared from their console to their phones and PC's. I don't know why they keep coming up with solutions only to abandon them.

5. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Funny you say that about Xbox, when at first it would seem preposterous that a gaming platform might save MS, but then when you look at the apps (that is, GAMES) people mostly use from google and apple stores it may not be such an outlandish idea after all :) The real problem seems to be the lack of interest (and funding, no doubt) of developers and companies to convert and/or make apps for the Windows Store, and then MS themselves cannot make enough apps to populate it either, so you end up with these basic apps. One of the best audio players on Android is JetAudio, and that company at first made a Windows modern app for it too, but later withdrew it due to lack of interest or usage. They do make a regular Win app still. It's understandable, if you're Jawbone or Fitbit and you make fitness tracking apps for iOS, Android, and Windows store, but have 500 users on Windows phone but 1.3 million on Android and iOS, it gets a bit hard to justify.

pacav69 likes this.
  6. Glenn

But one of MS ideas was to put the x86 apps (aka regular desktop apps) packaged inside the app store with auto updates being allowed with the ones that are validated to be available in the store, the only way MS can make the store work now is to make it have open source upload support to a big coding site, like sourceforge - imagine a single click upload to verified developers being right there on the webpage or even a partnership that calls on their servers for the exe's but can keep everything up to date on your PC. I mean even we decided a long time ago that ssWPI/SetupS was required to make Windows worth using and if the store they have now is the best they can do, I can fully understand why they are failing so badly - users don't care about loyalty, they care about being able to do what they want, look how quickly users shifted to chrome once it started offering more than what firefox did, the same happened to Netscape then IE then Opera - users will move to where the solutions are easiest and I've used the Windows store, it's clunky, bare, hides basic features and doesn't clearly show when something is free or requires in app purchases - it's like MS really doesn't care that it's designed a dodgy store and thinks it'll get away with it if they push enough users to get Windows 10 - it only takes each person to purchase 1 app or subscription and they'll make enough to cover to cost of developing Windows 10 - because they are working with the "any press is good press" model, even negative press. But we all know that isn't sustainable unless you get the results you want from the people who "try" your product/service.

Also I think MS (if they are serious) need to put game play back into their OS, I mean a quick search for Fable and Halo and Gears of War show stupid mobile games instead of being offered the good games - WHY? it's their franchises on their store, if they can't even get their work on there why would anyone use it? I mean look at this:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/07/m...egends-and-proposes-closing-lionhead-studios/

They purchased Lionhead Studios and did nothing with it but drive it in to the ground, I mean who is excited or passionate about PC's now, they closed all the doors to pirates with Denuvo and still charge $90 for a game for a DIGITAL download (over 16GB and often up to 22GB) then you have to wait for the 0 day update of another 6GB before you can even play it (Just because they want to use single file resource packs instead of limiting them and breaking them up to a reasonable size). It's why Steam, GOG and Humble are going to kick MS's ass if they don't hurry up and get their act together, so gaming may not even save them from their fate.

Listing the pros and cons of Windows 10 currently puts the cons at 3 times the length but all of them can be rectified by them actually listening to it's users and making the product we want. I am mostly sick of them changing things for the sake of changing them, MS use to be the most backwards compatible OS in the world where you could hop on to any piece of hardware and get done what your wanting, now that can be said for Apple and the shambles that is MS is getting by only because of the old versions of it's products.