What is GPT and MBR and FAT32 and ... ?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Ghost, May 6, 2024.

1. Ghost

Ghost Administrator

... please explain .. ?

I ran into a issue that my drives was not GPT style ? What , LOL, I was good and booted to my USB drive, a re-install and I was good to go.

I seem to remember that GPT is for more secure boot system and drives ?

It totally stopped me from doing the test I was wanting to do.

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

GPT is a "supposedly" more secure Partition Table that works with your BIOS's secure boot (UEFI), many laptops and some desktop enforce Secure Boot to be enabled, this means you WILL need to have your USB as FAT32/exFAT instead of NTFS, you will need the USB and the internal HDD partitioned with GPT (Some older motherboards let you boot NTFS and some let you boot MBR USB sticks, but not the newer ones). Some BIOS lock the SecureBoot and make you have to use it, this is often in conjunction with BitLocker and then the HDD is locked down where you can not even install or boot a custom USB as the boot partition is fully locked (Many Chromebook (Touch) type Laptops do this).

In Short, Disable Secureboot unless you want to have a secure PC that others may try to access (work or portable devices), Home devices rarely need Secureboot enabled, thus you get away with MBR and don't have to use UEFI or GPT partitioned disks at all.

3. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

MBR is for older windows and GPT is for more modern systems
    i created the following please refer to my document here for more information on Computer File Systems.

4. Bobby

Bobby New Member

The important difference to me I found out years ago when I bought my first 4tb hdd is mbr won't recognize any disks bigger than 2tb.

The Freezer and Glenn like this.
  5. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

LOL, I almost posted the same thing earlier; but yes, that has been my main pivot point for GPT versus MBR as well.

6. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

What about Ventoy? Has anyone tried that yet?

[​IMG]

7. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Yes Ventoy is included in LastOS AIO and Picnic, I made it available to download somewhere here :) anyway, Ventoy does boot on UEFI and CSM quite well, but there is still some PC's that require it to be GPT and others that require it to be MBR, so there is no pleasing every PC to make a USB boot, so instead I just have multiple USB's still.