Open sourcing MS-DOS 4.0

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by pacav69, Apr 27, 2024.

1. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

[​IMG]
    MS-DOS 4.00
    Explore the source code, binaries, and documents on GitHub
    more info here

Ten years ago, Microsoft released the source for MS-DOS 1.25 and 2.0 to the Computer History Museum, and then later republished them for reference purposes. This code holds an important place in history and is a fascinating read of an operating system that was written entirely in 8086 assembly code nearly 45 years ago.

Today, in partnership with IBM and in the spirit of open innovation, we’re releasing the source code to MS-DOS 4.00 under the MIT license. There’s a somewhat complex and fascinating history behind the 4.0 versions of DOS, as Microsoft partnered with IBM for portions of the code but also created a branch of DOS called Multitasking DOS that did not see a wide release.

The Freezer likes this.
  2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Wish they'd release Win 95 source code so ReactOS can get to a Beta instead of stuck in Alpha for decades :D then they can stop auditing the code to make sure the code is different enough to not be prosecuted by MS as they'd be free to use it in open sourced projects.

The Freezer likes this.
  3. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Plus, they need to stick with a version of Windows they want to be binary-compatible with. They keep upping the bar, and they'll never get out of development. Right now, their goal is Windows 2003 (NT 5.2), which Vista (NT 6.0) was built upon.

Relevant two decades ago. :what:

4. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

LOL - True!

Vista was a new code base, then windows 7 (6.1), rest is history, most of it is lazy people wanting to do nothing to do something for free, AI, all the 'post your videos and get money tricks' <- tiktoxic whatever they have, Facebook with 'I send you a code to confirm your a trusted seller' well they just got your facebook account DUH.

I would still be using windows 7 today if I could use the apps I need. <- PERIOD
    Win 10 LTSC is fine with me :)

5. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

I'm curious which apps? Mostly games (or anything requiring DirectX 12), right?

Ghost likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Just games is all, I found that newer Chrome will not install in a win 7 so that is another security issue there so.